Disk copying is the lengthily process. It is required that the drive
content does not change during copying; otherwise, the resulting image
will be inconsistent. To avoid data changes, the devices involved in
process have to be "locked". Zlon exclusively "locks" the
volume for its own use, so no other program can use the volume
The "lock" is associated with the volume (logical disk).
If a physical disk is being copied, all the volumes it contains have to
be locked. In case the physical disk holds a part of a composite volume
(e.g. part of the software RAID or a stripe set), the entire composite
volume is locked.
There are cases when it is not possible to acquire a volume lock.
- Volumes which have open files or folders on them
- System volume (containing the "WINDOWS" folder)
- Volume containing the page file
If there is a problem locking a volume, Zlon will
display a warning message. You then can
- [Retry] Find the program using the volume and close it, then
- [Abort] Retreat back one step and select another device.
- [Ignore] Continue without locking. Be advised that the image
will be inconsistent and can't be used for backup purposes. However,
the result is typically satisfactory for a subsequent data recovery.